Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Some nonsense for when you need a break

One of the sessions I attended this afternoon in the online conference I mentioned in class was about "geo-storytelling," meaning combining something like the second project for the 396 students with Google maps. I thought that was a cool idea, so I thought we might try something just for fun, simpler but perhaps interesting to the class. For some of you I have your gmail address. If so, I will invite you to contribute to the Map below. You can put in where you were born, where you grew up, stuff like that. The Map is private so your identity info should not be available to anyone outside the class. In the map below, just the locations show up. The version I've started with has 3 locations for me, where I was born in the Bronx, where I lived as a Junior and Senior while at Cornell, and where I lived in Chicago while a Grad student in Northwestern. I added a fourth location, in West Des Moines where my wife grew up, so the ultimate map would include the entire state of Illinois.

Participating in this is entirely voluntary and will not affect your grade in any, way, shape or form. The way I will invite you will allow you to invite others in the class, but only do that if somebody else doesn't show up on their own.

Have fun.


View Origins in a larger map



No comments:

Post a Comment